Why is security monitoring important?
Security monitoring may seem like an extra thing to pay for each month but unless you are neighbours with someone who is home 24/7 and is happy to investigate every alarm activation, regardless of the time of day or night, your home is vulnerable when you're not there.
Alarm monitoring provides an extra level of protection for your home or business when you're away. Which, let's face it, is when most people use their home alarms. One of the advantages of monitoring is that it safeguards your home in the same manner if you're away for 10 minutes, or 10 months.
Statistics show that in Australia there is a break-in every 3 minutes, or 225,900 in a year (2017). Only 18% of residents in properties where an attempted break-in occurred heard the intruder trying to enter, and a mere one in ten confronted offenders who had entered their home. What happens in the other 80% or more occasions? Thieves have free reign of your property until they have what they want or someone comes home. Monitoring means someone is always listening and will always respond.
A monitored alarm will be immediately responded to. The type of response will depend on your setup instructions but can be as simple as a phone call to your property or a call to a contact person who can check on the building. All of these processes will let an intruder know that the break-in has been acknowledged and response systems are in place.
Security monitoring options
Your choice of alarm monitoring options will depend on your home or business security requirements as well as your personal situation. There are two main options:
- professional monitoring - your home alarm is monitored from a professional monitoring centre by security experts who are trained to deal with break-ins.
- self-monitoring - the alarm is connected to a monitoring app on your phone, tablet or remote PC which sends a notification in the event of an alarm activation.
Find out more about alarm monitoring
Want to know more about setting up alarm monitoring for your home or business? Contact our experienced security team on 07 3353 3248 or complete our enquiry form today.
- Are dummy security cameras worth using?
- Are home security cameras a deterrent?
- Can CCTV cameras work without electricity?
- Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
- Can I have a security system in a house with pets?
- Choosing between Bosch 3000 or Bosch 6000 security system?
- DIY vs professionally installed security system
- Essential features of security cameras to consider when choosing a surveillance system
- How a security system can affect insurance costs
- How does alarm monitoring work?
- How does home security monitoring work?
- How long can a burglar alarm sound?
- How long does an alarm system backup battery last?
- How much does a security system cost?
- How to disarm my security alarm?
- Things you need to know if you're replacing the alarm battery
- What are the components of a home security system?
- What happens when your home alarm goes off?
- What happens when your security alarm system goes off when you’re out?
- What is an IP security camera?
- Where should alarm monitors be placed?
- Where should I place security cameras for the best protection?
- Which security system is best for my home?
- Who uses a duress alarm?
- Why is my security alarm system beeping?
- Why is security monitoring important?
- Wired or wireless security, which is better?