How does alarm monitoring work?
Alarm monitoring means someone is notified directly of any alarm activations at your home or business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Rather than your alarm siren only alerting those in the area of a break-in, a monitored alarm instantly notifies you or a monitoring centre when the alarm is triggered. Your alarm is connected to the monitoring system via the phone line, internet, or a cellular mobile connection.
There are two types of alarm monitoring you can opt for - self-monitored or professionally monitored.
This style of monitoring notifies you or another nominated person/s of an alarm activation via an app on your phone or tablet. The app will provide information such as:
- time and location of alarm activation
- the sensor or motion detector which triggered the alarm
- alarm status - armed or disarmed
- open or unlocked doors
Self-monitoring relies on you, a neighbour, friend, or employee being able to respond to an alarm activation 24/7.
More information on self-monitored alarms can be found here - Self Monitoring
Professional alarm monitoring
Sometimes called Back to Base monitoring this type of alarm supervision is carried out by a professional monitoring centre.
The centre is staffed day and night with experienced security personnel who instantly receive any notifications from a triggered alarm, and respond according to a pre-set list of instructions. These instructions could include calling the property, calling you, a neighbour or a friend, or sending a security guard to your home or business.
More on professional monitoring here - Professional Alarm Monitoring
Find out more - How does home security monitoring work?
- Are dummy security cameras worth using?
- Are home security cameras a deterrent?
- Can CCTV cameras work without electricity?
- Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
- Can I have a security system in a house with pets?
- Choosing between Bosch 3000 or Bosch 6000 security system?
- DIY vs professionally installed security system
- Essential features of security cameras to consider when choosing a surveillance system
- How a security system can affect insurance costs
- How does alarm monitoring work?
- How does home security monitoring work?
- How long can a burglar alarm sound?
- How long does an alarm system backup battery last?
- How much does a security system cost?
- How to disarm my security alarm?
- Things you need to know if you're replacing the alarm battery
- What are the components of a home security system?
- What happens when your home alarm goes off?
- What happens when your security alarm system goes off when you’re out?
- What is an IP security camera?
- Where should alarm monitors be placed?
- Where should I place security cameras for the best protection?
- Which security system is best for my home?
- Who uses a duress alarm?
- Why is my security alarm system beeping?
- Why is security monitoring important?
- Wired or wireless security, which is better?