Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
Yes, in most cases you can have a security alarm without a landline.
So many homes are opting out of paying for a landline as most people have a smartphone which caters to many of the requirements a landline used to such as telephone calls, internet connection, and emails. Phone line rental can add an often unnecessary extra chunk to your phone bill, and let's face it most of us could do without extras.
Most security systems can be connected, or adapted to connect, using mobile or wireless technology or the broadband NBN™ system. However, your alarm may need to be upgraded to be compatible with these networks, check with your security company for specific advice regarding the system in your home or business.
Most monitored alarm systems are programmed to check-in with the monitoring system regularly, to ensure everything is working as it should be, as well as sending a notification if an alarm is activated. Older back-to-base systems would call the monitoring service for these check-ins while newer, mobile connected systems use the internet to communicate. This new system reduces costs as there is no landline rental or daily call charges.
Another benefit of connecting to a mobile system is the alarm and monitoring can still function if phone lines are cut or the power is out (in conjunction with your alarms back up battery system) providing 24/7 protection for your home or business.
A self-monitored alarm connected via an app on your smartphone or mobile device can provide the added advantage of receiving real-time notifications as soon as the alarm is triggered.
In some areas, the older copper phone line is being disabled once the NBN™ is in place so upgrading a landline connected alarm may be a necessary requirement in the near future.
Getting your alarm wirelessly connected
We advise all customers to check in with their security company before switching over to the NBN or a cellular mobile system or speak to Alltronic Security for expert advice in Brisbane.
- Are dummy security cameras worth using?
- Are home security cameras a deterrent?
- Can CCTV cameras work without electricity?
- Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
- Can I have a security system in a house with pets?
- Choosing between Bosch 3000 or Bosch 6000 security system?
- DIY vs professionally installed security system
- Essential features of security cameras to consider when choosing a surveillance system
- How a security system can affect insurance costs
- How does alarm monitoring work?
- How does home security monitoring work?
- How long can a burglar alarm sound?
- How long does an alarm system backup battery last?
- How much does a security system cost?
- How to disarm my security alarm?
- Things you need to know if you're replacing the alarm battery
- What are the components of a home security system?
- What happens when your home alarm goes off?
- What happens when your security alarm system goes off when you’re out?
- What is an IP security camera?
- Where should alarm monitors be placed?
- Where should I place security cameras for the best protection?
- Which security system is best for my home?
- Who uses a duress alarm?
- Why is my security alarm system beeping?
- Why is security monitoring important?
- Wired or wireless security, which is better?