Are home security cameras a deterrent?
One purpose of security cameras and alarm systems is that they will turn potential intruders off attempting a break-in at all. The mere fact that they are obviously installed is hoped to deter thieves from considering your home as a target. If that doesn't do the job then the system's sensors, motion detectors, siren, and surveillance cameras go to work.
A 2015 study by the Australian Institute of Criminology looked into the reason for the 57% decline in burglaries between 2001 and 2009. The study involved asking offenders for their take on the reduction in break-ins over this time. The results indicated that improved home security was the most popular perceived reason for decreased home intrusions across Australia.
This study suggests that a security camera system, as well as other security measures, will actually act as a deterrent for would-be thieves.
Ref - https://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/tandi495
- Are dummy security cameras worth using?
- Are home security cameras a deterrent?
- Can CCTV cameras work without electricity?
- Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
- Can I have a security system in a house with pets?
- Choosing between Bosch 3000 or Bosch 6000 security system?
- DIY vs professionally installed security system
- Essential features of security cameras to consider when choosing a surveillance system
- How a security system can affect insurance costs
- How does alarm monitoring work?
- How does home security monitoring work?
- How long can a burglar alarm sound?
- How long does an alarm system backup battery last?
- How much does a security system cost?
- How to disarm my security alarm?
- Things you need to know if you're replacing the alarm battery
- What are the components of a home security system?
- What happens when your home alarm goes off?
- What happens when your security alarm system goes off when you’re out?
- What is an IP security camera?
- Where should alarm monitors be placed?
- Where should I place security cameras for the best protection?
- Which security system is best for my home?
- Who uses a duress alarm?
- Why is my security alarm system beeping?
- Why is security monitoring important?
- Wired or wireless security, which is better?