Are dummy security cameras worth using?
In a word, no. Experienced thieves can spot a dummy camera from a mile away but here are a few more reasons.
Reasons not to use dummy security cameras
- Dummy cameras often look cheap, plastic, and fake so fool no one. Even the more expensive models can miss essential details like wiring or mounting systems.
- The little blinking light which is meant to indicate a working camera is often a feature exclusive to dummy cameras. A real camera's usually don't have a 'look at me I'm working' light.
- Some fake cameras have a pan or tracking like movement function. This is feature works great if no one is actually in front of the camera but if an intruder walks by and the camera pan's away from them they will probably just go about the business of breaking into your home undeterred.
- To state the obvious, they don't actually DO anything. So if a break-in occurs you don't have any evidence or footage to help police find the thief.
The few times it might be ok to fake it
- Using fake security camera's in addition to a well setup, working surveillance system can sometimes increase the perception of constant monitoring and act as a deterrent.
- If it's a dummy or nothing situation, go ahead and install the dummy cameras.
However, if you think your property could benefit from some form of security surveillance why not invest in the real thing, even if it's only one or two cameras, a small recording system, and self-monitoring it will be worth the investment in the long run.
Want to read more on dummy security cameras? - Pros and cons of using fake security cameras
- Are dummy security cameras worth using?
- Are home security cameras a deterrent?
- Can CCTV cameras work without electricity?
- Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
- Can I have a security system in a house with pets?
- Choosing between Bosch 3000 or Bosch 6000 security system?
- DIY vs professionally installed security system
- Essential features of security cameras to consider when choosing a surveillance system
- How a security system can affect insurance costs
- How does alarm monitoring work?
- How does home security monitoring work?
- How long can a burglar alarm sound?
- How long does an alarm system backup battery last?
- How much does a security system cost?
- How to disarm my security alarm?
- Things you need to know if you're replacing the alarm battery
- What are the components of a home security system?
- What happens when your home alarm goes off?
- What happens when your security alarm system goes off when you’re out?
- What is an IP security camera?
- Where should alarm monitors be placed?
- Where should I place security cameras for the best protection?
- Which security system is best for my home?
- Who uses a duress alarm?
- Why is my security alarm system beeping?
- Why is security monitoring important?
- Wired or wireless security, which is better?